Sunday, May 2, 2010

Web comics of the 21st century

This past week I read quite a few web comics. One of my top three if not my favorite was "When I am King by Demian Vogler. As strange as and mildly disturbing as this comic is, I do believe I love it. It is about a pharaoh who wakes up and wants a flower, and shenanigans ensue. Though those shenanigans are often sexually related... mainly due to two sleazy women and a camel, that has fallen carnally in love with the pharaoh. The camel is one of my favorite characters in this, I'm not completely sure why. I think it's because he operates on simple goals, and breathes fire.... and eats children. The style of the comic is also really appealing, especially the integration of animation in later panels. I really like the nontraditional paneling during the dream sequence. It added a sense of time to how I read the images that helped keep my interest, as well as broke up their usual formatting of side scrolling. The simple shapes and vector images were also a nice choice. It focused more on simple graphics and composition, which left the story very clear. The side stories were also nicely woven in. There is a problem between the two guards over masculinity in the form of who has the larger dick. This problem is brought on by the two women and resolves in a very awkward manner, though the last panel is rather interesting. The tone seemed to be saying "Oh Camel," in the style of 1950's sitcoms. The lesson the pharaoh learns is nice too. He learns that what he really wanted was companionship and not the flower. But the camel loves him, and follows him everywhere so he gets both! I feel like this is an eye opener of a comic. It takes a good story, puts an edge on it as well as an ending, and then doesn't apologize for what it is. The amount of sexual oddness, as well as taboo in the comic could easily been toned down, but they made their statement and stood by it and it works. I hope I can use this boldness to inspire my own work. Not in the same ways but with deciding on how a work should be and not shying away from it afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment