Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sandman: Dream County- A Midsummer Nights Dream

I had heard about this Graphic Novel because it won the World Fantasy Award, before they had a comics category. I really need to read more of this series. The visuals are like a refined version of what we see in Prince Valiant comics. But the stye is pushed and the colors used more as a tool to create a mood rather than being localized color. My favorite page has to be page 23, here Puck has his monologue at the end of the play. The words are a nice contrast to the actual images. it creates a nice duality between the soothing reassurance of the monologue and the actuality of the Hobgoblin Puck now basically released upon the mortal world once again.

As far as the story, it took a play that I'm already familiar with and put a bit of a nice twist on it. The actors performing a play about the fey that are their audience. I like how the actor's seemed to have acutely portrayed their respective fey counterpart. Like how Queen Titania is still taking an interest in children and in fact tries to lure William Shakespeare's child away during the intermission. I also like that there is this subplot to the story about how Shakespeare and Morpheus have this deal and how it seems that it is actually changing Shakespeare in ways that are hurting his family a little. Hamnet was very easy to relate to as he was one of the few characters that discuss what is going on in their heads, the other two characters I liked were the Hobgoblin Puck, and this large blue fey that goes unnamed. Puck was nice because he could see how the play worked faster than both Auberon and Titania, who seem to both get bogged down by the fact that the events in the play never actually happened to them. I really liked the large blue goblin though because he was very intelligent and seemed to be enjoying the play as well as keeping the peanut gallery in check. It was a nice change in a traditionally type cast role.

I definately need to read more Sandman after this, my expectations are very high but I know that the series is well above them.

No comments:

Post a Comment