Sunday, April 11, 2010

Shiva

So I've been a little behind these past weeks and am now attempting to catch up. Roughly two weeks ago I read the comic Shiva by Deepak Chopra. I also looked at a few of the other India Authentic stories as well. I really like the texture of the first few volumes. It was really nice to see clearly digital work, not have the usual digital feel. Unfortunately the art quality dissolves over the series, and in my opinion cheapening the potential that they started with. Since the series is dealing with Hindu gods, I feel that they should all maintain the same high quality aesthetic do be respectful of the culture. Especially when the beginning volumes were really visually appealing and interesting. They were just more epic in design than later work. However, in the way of story they get a bit confusing. I am fairly certain that I didn't understand the second half of Shiva just because I am from a different culture. It seemed to be citing a specific story of how humans and demons, most likely Rakshasas, cease their fighting to work toward a common goal. Their goal seems to capture this large turtle with a mountain growing on it's back, from the sea. Almost all of the people and demons get killed by a toxin the sea releases, until Shiva comes along and purifies the sea and air for them, and basically gets their prize for them. Yet the actions of Shiva and the people didn't seem to have motive to me. I felt like there was more to the story that I didn't know. It seemed to be one of those stories that people grow up with and thus assume that everyone knows, so they leave certain parts out with out meaning to. The turtle is the biggest example, since it is never named and it takes a few pages before they explain what is even so amazing about it, which is that from it spring goddesses and objects of great power. However, that is only after the people and demons have been trying to drag the turtle to shore for roughly 3-5 pages. I feel that this story would have just been slightly more approachable to a wider range of readers by just explaining more about the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment